Friday, January 2, 2009

It's coming. It's inevitable. YOU'RE NEXT.

Tomorrow I'm attending the wedding of a friend. And the feeling is so very strange. Granted, this friend isn't very close (she's a couple years my senior and we go to different churches now), but I've known her and hung out with her and our families are fairly good friends. Most of all, it's a reminder of what will come. I'm 15.5 (I count half-birthdays) and I have many older friends (I'm not into the 'hanging out solely with peers' garbage). And, with the pending marriage of this young lady, I'm reminded that soon, Time will strike a little closer to home. It's a bittersweet feeling. And that's only thinking about it. Fortunately (or is it 'unfortunately'?) my sister is younger than me, and I kinda doubt she'll be married before me. Ergo I won't have to 'lose her' before losing myself. =-) But it's a sobering reality. Marriage is a funny thing. Some people don't have the family ties I have and can't wait to 'get away'. For me, it's the opposite. I can't imagine leaving my fam, not even for the man who will be my very best friend this side of Heaven (sorry, but no man alive can top my Lord when it comes to love). And yet I know, when the time comes, I'll go. I know myself well enough. And it will be bittersweet (anyone know a good synonym for 'bittersweet'?). It's the transition of a lifetime- leaving your family (of course they'll always be there, but it'll never be the same) and taking on a new one. Exciting to say the least. Walking in God's Plan usually is.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not next, that I'm pretty sure of. And a synonym for bittersweet...hmmm...I'll try to think of one for you. Don't use the word much myself.

    ReplyDelete